BFA – Music Theatre
The Music Theatre Program is a joint program offered through the College of Music and the School of Theatre. The BFA Music Theatre Program is a highly competitive program which prepares talented students from around the country for professional careers. Students are offered a comprehensive curriculum with courses in theatre, music, and dance to provide them with the training and skills necessary to meet the demands of a challenging career. In addition to course work, students have a variety of performance opportunities every year, including two musicals each season.
Graduating seniors in the Music Theatre program also have the opportunity to participate in the Senior Showcase each spring in New York City. Students perform during the showcase for directors, talent agents, and casting directors from all over the United States.
Admission to the BFA in Music Theatre program is by audition only. The program requires prospective students to submit a pre-screen application in order to be considered for an audition appointment. Florida State University has adopted the Musical Theatre Common Prescreen criteria. In addition to the videos, students will need to submit a headshot, theatrical resume, three letters of recommendation, and a one page essay stating educational and career goals. In addition to the program application, prospective students must also apply to Florida State University. Once the student has submitted their application for admission to Florida State University, they will be prompted to upload the prescreen materials to the application through the Office of Admissions. Receipt of materials can be checked using the Application Status Check.
BFA Music Theatre Program Flyer
Step 1: Complete the Florida State University Application and pay the $30 application fee.
Step 2: Complete the Music Theatre Supplemental Application to qualify for the live audition. The Supplemental Application will be added to your Application Checklist within 1-2 hours of submitting your application to FSU.
Step 3: Submit your Pre-Screen Materials via the Application Status Check:
- Theatrical Resume
- Music Theatre Future/Career Goals: A short statement describing your professional goals and your desire to major in Music Theatre (650 words max.)
- Letters of Recommendation (3 required): You will enter your recommenders’ contact information and they will be contacted via email and prompted to upload their letter.
- Pre Screen Videos (Uploaded to the Portfolio section)
- Two contrasting musical selections
- One Contemporary Monologue
- Two contrasting dance pieces (one ballet and one jazz or contemporary)
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning November 1. Final Deadline is December 1.
Step 4: Complete your Audition
- Initial callbacks will be conducted via Zoom in December and early January. Applicants will be emailed a video of two dance combinations, which they will be asked to learn, record and upload to their portfolio. You are also asked to perform, within individual appointments, two prepared 32 bar contrasting musical selections (one ballad and one up-tempo selection) with a piano or instrumental track, and a prepared 60 second monologue within your casting range. These, as well as the dance audition, should demonstrate skill and the potential for development.
Students under final consideration will be invited to campus for a live audition and dance workshop on March 5, 2023.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
The School of Theatre awards scholarships to selected incoming and continuing students in all BFA areas. Scholarships are awarded to incoming BFA students on the basis of academic ability and potential for achievement in their particular BFA emphasis.
Director, Academic Student Services
239 Fine Arts Building
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1160
Phone: (850) 644 – 7234
Please see the Undergraduate Handbook for a listing of required courses to complete a BFA in Music Theatre.