Kate Watson Gelabert is an Associate Professor and Head of the BFA Music Theatre Program. She has choreographed the majority of musicals presented in the Fallon, Lab and Studio theaters since 1981 as well as several works produced by the College of Music and the School of Dance here at FSU. Kate has worked as a guest instructor/choreographer for the Pennsylvania Centre Stage Theater, Seaside Music Theater, Florida Dance Association, The Musical Theater Project of Tampa (directed by Ann Reinking), Southern Ballet Theatre (now Orlando Ballet), Walt Disney World, the Burt Reynolds Institute for Theatre Training and the Universidad Nacional Departments of Theatre and Dance in San Jose, Costa Rica. Kate was a National Panelist for the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts (NFAA) core program, youngARTS and a founding member of the Musical Theatre Educators Alliance – International (MTEA). She has received the FSU Teaching Award and is a two time recipient of the FSU Teaching Incentive Award. Kate is also the 2008 Guardian of the Flame recipient for the College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance.
Areas of Responsibility
Movement/Dance/Choreography, Director B.F.A. Music Theatre Program
B.F.A. Dance, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
M.F.A. Dance, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
Movement for Actors
Styles and Disciplines of Dance: Choreographic and period styles of movement and dance
Music Theatre choreographers and dances
Select Scholarly/Creative Works & Awards
- (2000-2001) Research of 1966,1987, and 1998 productions of Cabaret, resulting in two fully staged productions. Total Award $8000
- (1998-1999) Research for Music Theatre Showcases in New York City, resulting in FSU development of Music Theatre Senior Showcase in NYC. Total Award $500
- (1989) Research and development of movie musical choreography resulting in the creation of, “At the Movies . . . with Marge & Gower, Gene & Leslie and Fred & Ginger.” Total award $5000
- Florida State University Teaching Award
- Two-time recipient of the Florida State University Teaching Incentive Award
- 2008 Guardian of the Flame for the College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance at Florida State University
- Choreography for over seventy-five shows and performances for both university and professional productions.