Professor of Theatre Studies, School of Theatre
Courtesy Professor of Early English Drama (Shakespeare)
Terri Bourus is a Professor of Theatre Studies at Florida State University. Her primary research focuses on the Print and Performance of Early Modern Drama. As a Bibliographer and Text Editor as well as a performer, she is most interested in the ways that Early Modern Drama was received by, and integrated into late 16th and early 17th culture, creating a playing space for this drama that continues to prosper. How did performance and print make it both possible (and problematic) for that drama to be reinterpreted for every succeeding generation of scholars and performers? She is also interested in issues of adaptation and attribution by examining not just the early modern texts, but the stagings, films, photography and art that continue to evolve from them and adapt to new and exciting technologies: some in place, others yet to be developed. She is one of three General Editors of the New Oxford Shakespeare and as she edits, she will continue to explore these texts through the lens of performance. She is passionate about teaching these plays and, perhaps even more, she is passionate about performing them.
Ph.D Shakespeare Text and Performance, Northern Illinois University
M.A. Renaissance Textual and Performance Studies, Northern Illinois University
Areas of Responsibility
Theatre Encounters, Acting Shakespeare, Devised Theatre, Irish Theatre, History of Early Modern Theatre
Select Scholarly/Creative Works
- Critical Survey, guest editor, Special Issue on Q1 Hamlet, projected publication, December 2018.
- “Performance and Attribution: Richard Burbage, Arden of Faversham, and the Early Shakespeare Canon”, for Early Shakespeare, ed. Rory Loughnane and Andrew Power, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, projected publication 2018.
- “Editing and Directing: Mise en page, mise en scene”, in Stage Directors and the Shakespearean Theatre, London: Bloomsbury Arden Shakespeare.
- The New Oxford Shakespeare, Complete Works: Critical Reference Edition, gen. ed. Gary Taylor, John Jowett, Terri Bourus, Gabriel Egan (Oxford, 2017).
- The New Oxford Shakespeare, Complete Works: Modern Critical Edition, gen. ed. Gary Taylor, John Jowett, Terri Bourus, Gabriel Egan (Oxford, 2016).
- “Enter Shakespeare’s Young Hamlet, 1589,” Actes de Congres de la Societe Francaise Shakespeare, 34 (2016), online
- “Second Looks: Arden of Faversham“, Shakespeare Bulletin 33 (2015), 693-8.
- Terri Bourus and Gary Taylor, “Measure for Measure(s): Performance-testing the adaptation hypothesis”, Shakespeare 10 (2014), 363-401.
- Young Shakespeare’s Young Hamlet (Palgrave 2014)
- “Counterfeiting Faith: Middleton’s Theatrical Reformation of ‘Measure for Measure'” in Stages of Engagement: Drama and Religion in Post-Reformation England,” (Duquenes University Press, 2014).
- “It’s a whole different sex!”: Women Performing Middleton on the Modern Stage, for “The Oxford Handbook of Middleton Studies,” Oxford University Press, 2012.
- “May I be metamorphosed”: Cardenio by Stages, for “The Quest for Cardenio”, Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Digital Editor: The Compendium of Renaissance Drama (CORD): Thomas Kyd’s Cornelia, Barnabe Barnes’s The Devil’s Charter, John Marston’s Jack Drum’s Entertainment, and Beaumont and Fletcher’s, The Island Princess, The Coxcomb, The Bloody Brother.
- Text Editor: Hamlet, Sourcebooks MediaFusion New Series Shakespeare, Naperville, IL: Sourcebooks Inc., December 2006.
- Text Editor, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Sourcebooks MediaFusion New Series Shakespeare, Naperville, IL: Sourcebooks Inc., April 2006.
- “Shakespeare and the London Publishing Environment: The Publisher and Printers of Q1 and Q2 Hamlet,” Analytical & Enumerative Bibliography 12 (2001): 206-228.
- “The First Quarto of Hamlet in Film: The Revenge-Tragedies of Nicol Williamson and Mel Gibson,” Online journal, August, 2001.
- Editor and Essayist: Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet’: Complete Study Edition. New York: IDG Books Worldwide, Inc., 2000.
- IU Trustees Teaching Award: 2012
- IU New Frontiers’ New Explorations Grant: 2010
- IUPUI Research Frontiers Trailblazer Award: 2010
- IU New Frontiers’ Research Grant: 2010-2011
- IU New Frontiers New Explorations Grant: 2009
- IU Overseas Research Grant: 2009
- IU School of Liberal Arts Summer Faculty Fellowship: 2009
- IU Office of the Vice-President for International Affairs Grant: 2008
- New Frontiers Visionary Scholars’ Grant: 2007-2008
- FACET: Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching: Awarded 2007