The Master of Science Degree for Artist/Teachers is specifically designed for theatre practitioners working in secondary education. The program offers training in all aspects of theatre including acting, directing, design, stage management, marketing, and dramatic literature and history.
Working closely with faculty during intensive sessions over three summers, participants will develop and then refine the skills needed to grow as teachers and artists.
The School of Theatre does not admit a cohort of students every year. Interested individuals should contact the Office of Academic and Student Services for specific admission information.
In addition to applying to the program, students must also apply to Florida State University.
MS Admission Requirements
- A completed School of Theatre Graduate Application (download OR contact the Academic and Student Services Office at 850.644.7234)
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) during the last two years of study for a bachelor’s degree.
- A competitive score on the verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Examination taken within the last 5 years.
- At least three current letters of recommendation containing an assessment of teaching, artistic, and/or craft-related abilities are required. Letters should address the potential for completing the program and for making significant continuing contributions as an artist / teacher. They should speak to accomplishments that indicate achieved success and future directions. Letter writers can include: school administrators, teaching peers, theatre professionals, competition adjudicators, state or district thespian officers.
- A resume of education, experience, and theatre background should indicate clearly the amount and type of work done. Indicate your exact responsibilities, supervisor’s contact information, and work locations. Highlight any special honors, awards, or responsible assignments.
- A statement of purpose (250-500 words) should include career goals, professional standards, and personal objectives.
MS Theatre Education Flyer
Graduate Application PDF
Graduate Application Word Doc
Assistant, Academic Student Services, School of Theatre
239 Fine Arts Building
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1160
For admissions procedures contact the Office of Admission and/or Student Services at 850.644.7234.